Planning your office renovation and in search of the ideal office door material that perfectly suits your requirements?
Our comprehensive guide covers the pros and cons of different door material options, helping you make the right choice for functionality and style.
Here are the 5 considerations to take note of when choosing office door material:
- Security consideration
- Insulation requirements
- Aesthetics and Design
- Durability and Maintenance
- Budget Constraints
There are pros and cons for each type of door material. The ultimate decision on the type to choose will greatly depend on your needs and budget.
Wooden Office Door
Having a wooden door is a great way to incorporate some natural element into the interior design as it lends a warm and welcoming feel to office space.
There are in general four types of wooden door:
- Solid wood
- Medium density fibreboard (MDF)
- Solid core
- Hollow core
Solid Wood Door
Solid wood door is entirely made of natural wood. However, the door is not carved out from one single piece of wood but is put together from several panels of wood.
Advantage of Solid Wood Door
- High strength
- Good sound and temperature insulation
Disadvantage of Solid Wood Door
- Heaviness makes it harder to install
- Warping may occur due to moisture
Medium Density Fibreboard (MDF) Door
MDF door is created to provide an alternative to natural wood. It is in fact made from recycled wood fibre recovered from processing natural wood with wax and resin as binder. MDF door can also come in entirely solid, solid or hollow core.
Advantage of Medium Density Fibreboard (MDF) Door
- More durable than natural wood as it is resistant to warping
- Lower in price than natural wood
- Smoother surface finish than natural wood
- More environmentally friendly as it uses recycled material
- Easy customization to different size and design
Disadvantage of Medium Density Fibreboard (MDF) Door
- Might contain formaldehyde which is toxic
- Potential moisture-induced swelling of exposed edges
- Vulnerable to high temperature due to breakdown of the glue in the MDF board
- Scratches cannot not be repaired by simply sanding it unlike real wood
Solid Core Door
Solid core door is constructed using a wood veneer outer frame with an inner core consisting of engineered wood filler.
Advantage of Solid Core Door
- Not prone to warping
- Good sound and temperature insulation
Disadvantage of Solid Core Door
Hollow Core Door
Hollow core door is made of an inner core of cardboard or plastic arranged in layers and a wood veneer outer frame.
Advantage of Hollow Core Door
- Light-weight hence easy to install
- Low cost
Disadvantage of Hollow Core Door
- Low strength hence relative less durable
- Poor sound and temperature insulation
Glass Office Door
Popularity of glass doors is evident in practically every structure, including residences, hotels, businesses, stores, malls, and restaurants.
Glass doors, from patio doors to French doors, complement any structure. And incorporating glass as a design element always elevate the overall design of a work space.
Popular options for office interior doors would include office doors with glass panels that slides sideways or swing in or out.
Price of office glass doors can vary greatly due to the design and make of the door. It can range from S$400 to upwards of more than S$1000 depending on depending on size, type of glass, brand, functionality and design.
Advantage of Glass Office Door
- Elegant and Classy
- Transparent – Makes a space brighter, more spacious and open
Disadvantage of Glass Office Door
- Lack of Privacy – Frosted glass can provide more privacy than fully transparent door
- Less secure and durable – Tempered glass is more less prone to breakage
Steel Office Door
A steel door isn’t made of solid steel. Steel doors are made of a polyurethane or polystyrene core with an outer steel covering. A solid steel door would be too hefty and would most certainly break the hinges out. The exterior of the office door is made of steel ranging in thickness from 16 to 26 gauge.
Advantage of Steel Office Door
- High strength and security
- Very durable
- Low maintenance
Disadvantage of Steel Office Door
- Dents and scratches are difficult to repair
- Hard to customise to desired size or design as it is tough to cut through the steel
Wood is a popular choice for its natural warmth and aesthetic appeal, but it can be costly and require regular maintenance.
Steel doors are more durable and low-maintenance, but they can be cold and uninviting.
Glass office doors are becoming increasingly popular, as they allow natural light to flow through the office space while still providing privacy.
Ultimately, the decision of which material to choose will depend on your individual needs and preferences.
Consider all of these factors when making your decision to ensure that you choose the right material for your door. Selecting the appropriate material for an office door requires careful consideration of various factors, including style, durability, security, maintenance, cost, and insulation.
Each material has its advantages and disadvantages, and the ultimate decision should be based on your specific needs and preferences.
By taking the time to weigh these factors, you can ensure that you choose a office door material when planning for your office renovation that will not only look great but also meet your functional requirements for years to come.
However, working with an experienced and competent office renovation company is essential if you want to guarantee that your office renovation project in Singapore is executed to the highest quality.
At One Pit Stop, we specialise in offering cost-effective office renovation solutions without sacrificing quality.
Call us @ +65-68718864 now or complete our Online Form to find out how we can assist you in creating the ideal workspace for your company.